Friday, December 24, 2010

Makes you think...sometimes


I sometimes wonder about the things I haven't done during my life because I thought of them as a big waste of time. Somethings I don't regret. Actually, most of them I don't regret.
I know I've wasted a lot of time and opportunity in my relatively brief time on Earth, but I've learned recently to not dwell on the past and look into the future. I'm thinking about that right now as I sit on the 21st floor of a rented condominium in Panama City. Yep, it's pretty freaking chilly out here, but a few years ago, I never would have though about spending Christmas Eve on a beach in Florida and if I did, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be looking at the sunset I'm looking at right now.
I've never been one to admire sunsets. Mainly because they've I haven't seen any that were that impressive. I have learned to appreciate them a little more these days. One reason is because I can see the sun set from my office overlooking the Mississippi River. But there is a lot to be said for watching it set over the ocean. One thing I can say is I've seen the sun set over the Pacific Ocean and now, ironically, I've seen it set over the Atlantic Ocean. As a person who has at times prided myself on not being too impressed with...well, anything or anybody, I can say that watching this particular sunset on Christmas Eve is the highlight of my year. And I actually had the presence of mind to take a photo of it.
Maybe I'm getting a bit older, or maybe I'm learning to actually appreciate the little things that I get to do instead of dwelling on the unimportant things I don't get to do. My life is good. I realize that and I'm reminded of it at least once or twice a week. I won't say that I'm becoming an optimist. I don't think that'll ever happen. See? An optimist would never have written those words.
I can say that I'm becoming more appreciative. I owe that to my wife. It's amazing how one person could have such a profound impact on another in so many unexpected ways. But here it is. Now the only question how long can I sit outside in a Northern Florida winter evening with shorts and a sweatshirt on.

No comments:

Post a Comment